Monday, March 8, 2010

You Blockhead


Block. Now there are several meanings to the word block. Thinking as a child would we can look at a block as those little square objects with the ABC's and 123's printed on the sides. Oh weren't those the days when you were entertained by little blocks that you could stack up into a tall glorious tower. And just when you put the finishing block on top, here comes little brother to wreck your beloved masterpiece.
Now we also have a block when we look at the sports world too. Volleyball players spend many hours just perfecting the word block. There is a special way to do it I suppose. And in basketball one of the greatest feelings in the world is to block someone else's shot just as it leaves their hand. Afterwards you so subtly stare that person down giving them the "Ya, that just happened" look. And of course there are blocks in football, soccer, and hockey as well.
But enough in the sports world, we also have sunblock. Yes, this special block is to protect your skin from the UV rays and all that nasty sun cancer business. Although most people my age will say they don't really block any of the sort as they sit in tanning beds thinking oh it won't happen to me. Yes, I'm guilty of not applying this block in my life too.
More blocks, yes there are more. Well it just so happens that I live on a block as well. Wow can you believe it? All these little squares that make up a city are called blocks too. And we use phrases such as "Oh it's just down the block", or "She's been around the block" like common sayings.
All these blocks however are not the kind of blocks I'm thinking of. The kind of block I'm thinking of is writer's block. You see, I cannot for the life of me think of anything to write about. I'm suffering writer's block at its worst. It's awful, it really is. I love to write and I can't even think of a topic to get artistic with. Oh well I guess. Maybe tomorrow I will think of something to write about. But until then maybe I'll go to Blockbuster and rent a movie to get my mind flowing with some creative juices.

1 comment:

  1. haha....I love it! Even though you had writers block, it sure sounded good to me! I never realized how many meanings there were to the word block until I read this :)

    ReplyDelete