Monday, March 29, 2010

Family

We all have our own explanation of family and what the term means to us. I could write a novel about mine, one probably worth reading but the thing is, I happen to be quite different from my family. If you were to see me walking to class you would probably never guess that I grew up on a ranch. Just by looking at my sweat pants and sneaks and rocking my hat a little crooked on my head a person may tab me as a “wanna be gansta”, a jock, or just a chic that doesn’t like to dress up. Pick your poison, but you would never know that wrangler jeans are seen in every room at family gatherings, and that Busch Light proudly sponsors the Becker family. Well, they should at least. You wouldn't know that we hug all the time. So much in fact that if someone saw us they would think we haven’t seen each other in years when really, it was probably just yesterday. You wouldn’t know that back home a few of our main uses of transportation happen to be in a saddle or on a four-wheeler.

You wouldn't know these things because at one point in my life I thought I wanted to leave all those entities behind me. I know I am different and although I still enjoy the farm life and all it entails, there has always been something tugging at my heart telling me that cow poop and summer nights down by the creek in front of the stars are not all I’m meant to see. It might seem to some that I have a case of the opposite syndrome. You know, like when straight haired girls want bouncing curls and those curly Q girls would do anything to never use a straightener again.

So for a while I separated myself, and at times still do. But what I have learned through my experiences is that no matter where you come from and how good or bad of family you think you may have, there is a bond that will always be holding you to them. A bond that, no matter how different you may seem, cannot be broken. It is something that is a part of you and it pulls at every feeling inside of your body no matter how much you try to deny it. So for me this means I will always carry the farm life with me wherever I go. If I sit under a streetlight and see but just one star, I will reflect on those nights when I sat under a whole blanket of stars at home without the slightest noise but a cricket chirping close by. And I will smile, because I know, no matter how different I’ve become, or how much things may change in my life, my family is the one thing that is consistent. They will never wear anything but wranglers.

2 comments: