Monday, March 22, 2010

Busy Bees


So I ran across a funny conclusion while I was in California over spring break. Well, actually my friend brought this little idea afire in my ever twirling mind. And that is, the idea of being busy. What is it to be busy? I think all of us definitely have our own definitions of what it means to be running around like busy bees, but how many of us are truly working to make the honey? Because after thinking back on my typical daily routine I must say, although I'm a bit ashamed to admit it, I'm not quite as busy as I thought. Some days yes, I dive head first into those honeycombs and make the best of that sweet nectar. Then there are days when I think I have a whole pot of honey to produce when really if I just sat down and did my thing, it would take a lot less time than I expected and that big pot turns out to be rather small.
The problem is we make those "things to do" turn into enormous tasks instead of just looking at them as they are and so we end up wasting our energy just flapping our wings. We flap frantically telling everyone around us how busy we are, but the honey is just barely dripping out. Sure I procrastinate and so at times I find myself flapping wildly with ten different tasks laying out in front of me. There I continue flapping, staring blankly at all the tasks and not tackling a single one because I'm so "busy". But the problem is I make myself busy. If we would just stop flapping our wings and settle down and do what we know we need to, we wouldn't be so busy. And the honey would be a lot more rewarding.
The solution. Procrastinate? Sure. If you have to do it, then do it. But stop flapping your wings. When you really have something to accomplish, tell yourself to just do it. Because flapping around solutions just makes you busy right? We don't want to be so busy that we can't enjoy life. Lets stop and smell the flowers when we can, but otherwise lets do our thing and sing proudly our theme song. You know that one by Black Eyed Peas "Imma Bee, Imma Bee, Imma, Imma, Imma Bee.

No comments:

Post a Comment