Friday, April 9, 2010

What's the Big deal?


Why is it that human’s care so much about what people think of them? I think they are one of the only creature’s God created that carry this ridiculous trait. You don’t see a deer stop and look at itself in a pond and check out to see if its butt looks too big in the reflection. And you don’t see squirrels only gathering the best looking nuts to try and impress their neighbor…they think “For crying out loud, a nut’s a nut!” Dogs sure don’t think twice when they gain a few extra pounds. Why should we care then? Why do we waste hours of our lives getting ready and prepped to go out? Or why do we care so much that our GPA’s have to stay high or we won’t succeed in life? After all it’s just a number, and on judgment day God will not ask you “Now child, was your GPA over a 3.5? I’m sorry I can’t let you into heaven.” Why is it that if we mess up in life we are more worried about what someone will think of our mistake than just learning from it on our own? I mean the only one that we should really be trying to impress is the one who put us here right? We get so caught up in our own little worlds we don’t realize how ridiculous and complicated we are making our lives. I’m not saying we should just throw out the body wash and makeup and be smelly bums the rest of our lives but really. As long as your heart is in the right place everything else will just fall into place right with it. It’s not about what cool things you have or how much money you can earn, it’s about what kind of person you are. We can’t take our possessions with us so why do we get so attached to them? I am as guilty as the next person on every accusation, although I can say I have never really cared as much about what people think of me. I didn’t think twice when I was in seventh grade and I was the only junior high kid who signed up for the high school lip sync contest. Sure I was nervous out there dancing and singing in front of a bunch of seniors but heck, for just being me, my group got a standing ovation. I think I respect people a lot more when they can just go out and do and say what they believe in and not second guess themselves because of someone else’s opinion. Opinions can just drag people down to where they are not even living their own lives, just living to impress people. If we could just learn that there are more important things out there than what kind of car we drive and if our hair looks just right we could save a lot less time and transfer that wasted energy to something more useful. After all, we are all equal in the Big Man’s eyes so we should all be equal here on earth, no matter what number pops up on your scale when you step on it, or what your monthly paycheck reads.

1 comment: